NASA announced on Saturday that the new rocket it plans to send to the moon has encountered a new obstacle, and this will almost certainly delay the first manned mission to the moon in decades until the spring.
Officials revealed the latest problem just one day after setting March 6 as the launch date for the first human mission to the moon in more than half a century.
They explained that the flow of helium to the upper stage of the rocket had been cut off.
A continuous flow of helium is essential for engine purging and fuel tank pressurization .
This helium problem is unrelated to the hydrogen fuel leak that disrupted the Space Launch System rocket's countdown test earlier this month, forcing a retest.
NASA administrator Jared Isaacman said a faulty filter, valve, or connection plate could be the cause of the helium flow stopping.
He noted that, regardless of the cause, the only way to access the area and fix the problem is at the vehicle assembly building at the Kennedy Space Center.
Isaacman added via the X platform: "We will begin preparations to return the rocket, and this will take the launch date that was in March out of the equation."
He explained that NASA's next opportunities would be at the beginning or end of April.
Isaacman continued, "I understand that people are disappointed with this development. The most disappointed are the NASA team, who have worked tirelessly to prepare for this great endeavor."
NASA said it is reviewing the data and preparing to return the 98-meter-long Space Launch System rocket to the rocket hangar for maintenance at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
The work could be completed on the launch pad, and NASA reported that engineers are preparing for both options.
0 Comments